Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Carefully masked

She took the mask off and for the first time I saw what she was really like. He took the mask off and I realized I wasn’t a little kid anymore. They took their masks off and I knew that I didn’t want to be like them. He took his mask off and it made me sad. He took his mask off and the tears I cried were as much for him as they were for me. They took their masks off and I was changed. She took her mask off and I prayed for her. He took his mask off and I lost my breath at his beauty. He took his mask off and I realized I was lost. She took her mask off and I realized I was found. She took her mask off and I realized she was human too. He took his mask off and I had to say goodbye. He took his mask off and it broke my heart. She took her mask off and revealed another mask. He took his mask off and I wasn’t ready for it. He took his mask off and I wanted to be a kid again. They took their masks off and I knew I’d never be the same again.

Sometimes I take off my mask and I wish I could put it back on. Sometimes I take my mask off too early. Sometimes I take my mask off too late. Sometimes I take my mask off and no one notices. Sometimes I take my mask off and it doesn’t make a bit of difference. Sometimes I take my mask off when I say goodbye. Sometimes I take my mask off when I say hello. Sometimes the mask makes things easier. Sometimes my mask makes things just that much harder. Sometimes I take my mask off and they just close their eyes. Sometimes I realize the mask was in my hands the whole time. Sometimes I realize my mask isn’t enough to protect me. Sometimes without my mask I feel bold. Sometimes without my mask I feel naked. Sometimes when people don’t understand my mask, I know they won’t understand my face. Some people only see my face once. Some people see it all the time. Sometimes the mask sticks longer than I had hoped. Sometimes it falls off without me touching it. Some people think masks are what life is about. Some people have never seen my mask. Some people have never seen my face. Some people can’t tell the difference anyway.

I just wish masks didn’t matter.

Or at least matter to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home