Tuesday, November 22, 2005


I should tell you,
I should tell you
I have always loved you.
You can see it in my eyes.

I think God created music b/c sometimes words alone can't convey what He's created us to feel. This is the thought that kept running through my head last night after watching RENT. I wish that I could somehow find words that would explain just what it is about this show that has actually changed the way that I love people. I was watching a video clip from some of the actors the other day and Jesse L. Martin, the guy who plays Tom Collins said that the essence of RENT is simply that it's about the family you choose. Maybe it's because in my life God has blessed me with the most incredible chosen family I could ever have imagined. Last night I watched the show with one of those friends, and I wondered how many people in their lives ever get to experience that sort of a connection. Neither of us said a word through the entire show, but it didn't matter. I knew simply by the presence of him breathing beside me that he was feeling what I was feeling. And somehow that made me feel it that much deeper. Every time I've seen this show- (8 times on stage) I've been changed. Last night, seeing it for the first time in film changed me again. That is why God created music. I've listened to these songs probably 1000's of times over the last 9 years. Some days it was like I'd never heard the song before. And in those 9 years, I've loved and I've lost. I've laughed and I've cried. I've been restless and I've found peace. And that music never stopped touching me. I think it's so much more than music. It's more than words and notes. It's love and passion and connection on a level that I pray never stops changing me. I've hesitated to write just what I thought on my blog about RENT, b/c if you've never seen it, or for that matter never gotten it then what I have to say just sounds like some cheesy review of a play or a movie that you don't have any intention of seeing. And it's so much more than that to me. It's real to me. The characters are real to me. The songs are real to me and most importantly the love and the passion are real to me. That's how I want to live my life. Living each day for what it is- a gift from a God that loves me more than I can ever begin to fathom. No day but today.

Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

sigh. somethings are too hard to put to words.

11:57 AM  
Blogger meagan said...

These are the kinds of things that I can never put to words. Which is why I mainly only blog about silly things. I am so often touched by both of you (Liz & Emily) that you are able to write about real-life things.

That is special that you got to see it last night with someone who is so connected to RENT as you are. I'm going to see it alone tomorrow because I don't think I have that kind of person in my life and don't want to risk frustrating the experience. If that makes sense.

Thanks for writing about it!

love meagan

5:15 PM  
Blogger um... yeah... said...

we saw the movie tuesday. it was amazing. artful. beautiful. loved it!

11:33 PM  
Blogger um... yeah... said...

lizzy, i saw it. i loved it. i cried. it was amazing. my analytical brain didn't let me get "into it" until about 30 minutes in, but from there i was hooked. josh and i didn't even talk about it afterwards. i don't think we needed to.

11:36 AM  
Blogger um... yeah... said...

why i posted about it twice i don't know. i didn't remember doing the first one. oh well. :)

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home