Tuesday, August 05, 2003

I love unconventional friendships. Last night I hung out with someone who I can honestly call a close friend, even though we rarely talk or see each other anymore. He’s one of those people that even after not seeing him for 6 months or more, we can still talk as if not a day has passed. He’s someone who not only makes me laugh, but more importantly he makes me think. He makes me think about what I think. If that makes sense… I know that so much of the time we say things, and don’t stop to wonder exactly why we said the things that we said, or what we’re actually thinking when we say them. It’s nice to have someone ask you what you think. And it’s nice to have someone disagree with you when they think you’re wrong, or simply tell you that you’re not thinking nearly enough. I have only a few friendships in my life that are on that level of “disagreement”, not just in an opposing sense of the word, but to openly question why in the world I’m thinking what I’m thinking. I find oftentimes those to be the ones that are the most important to me. And in those friendships I learn the most about myself. I don’t think we question ourselves enough why we think what we think, and why we feel what we feel. It’s like we assume it’s the way that we are, and we just seem to accept that. I don’t want to feel as if my pre-conceived notions are merely random conjectures and not valid explanation for not only what I think, but who I am. Because it’d been so long since I’d seen him, I forgot just what it was like to have someone actually question why I think what I think. Sometimes I get discouraged that there are so many people who just don’t get it. But then I have moments like last night and it makes finding someone who does get it or even finding them again, mean that much more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home